Saturday, September 4, 2021

The Weed

 My spiritual life is like a weed.  On the monastery ranch we have lots of weeds that grow quite big.  They are not much to look at most of the time.  There is nothing special about them.  That would be me, quite ordinary and unimpressive.  But a weed has deep roots.  This would be like a spiritual life practice that no one sees but where the change is hidden.  I want to be rooted in the Non-Dual Presence in which I believe.  It is not important that it shows to others in some visual fashion, but that it makes me the kind of person, deeply rooted in a practice, that might be from time to time, helpful to another.  So if you feel like a weed, surrounded by beautiful flowers, work on your roots in silence and stillness.  Or however you do it.  When there is a forest fire and everything above ground that was beautiful and useful seems to be burnt up, what is left?  The deep roots are still there, and are the source of some new life.  

1 comment:

  1. A gardener once told me that weeds are just flowers we don't approve of.

    ReplyDelete