Thursday, September 16, 2021

Haloclines

Where the freshwater of a river and the salt water in the ocean meet, it is called a halocline.   Certain forms of life can flourish in this setting that don't seem to flourish anywhere else, so I hear.  I think about cooking and baking.  On the one hand there is me who was afraid of cooking, because I would fail, or it was too hard, or it just was not me.  On the other hand, there is the recipe that I look at, that pushes up against all my negativity and fear.  Bring them together and something unique takes place.  What? The fear went away and now I produce some really good meals, that would not happen if I had not put my fears, and negative attitudes up against the recipe.  I made my first Vietnamese dinner recently.  Spring Rolls and then a pasta with a sauce of ingredients from the Vietnamese recipe.  It was uniquely me.  No one else in the monastery would attempt it.  But I have to figure out how to roll those rice cakes better!  So, when you come up against something that your past says, "is simply not you, or for you," don't walk away so fast, especially if curiosity grabs you.  It could be your salt and clear water unique self coming to the fore.

No comments:

Post a Comment