Saturday, October 22, 2022

Got That Feeling

 I met people who tell me that they believe something because the dogma makes sense.  They have a kind of intellectual faith.  But do they feel it?  I like the person who said, "I know what I believe because I feel it."  Eventually the intellect, the mind will come around but first the heart must be touched.  In a recovery program, people seem to come back after initial meetings because they "felt good" at the last meeting or meetings.  They are clueless about steps and literature, but they believe what they feel and that keeps them in contact.  Many people believe in their heads a particular religion, or at least have no grave doubts.  But they attend infrequently.  They are not drawn by any deep enough feeling that bonds them to the group or the process.  Welcoming the newcomer and accepting them as they are can go a long way.  Walk the walk.  Later you can talk the talk.  

2 comments:

  1. This has worked for me and I've yet to leave a meeting not feeling better than when I arrived, no matter the mood I was in. The fellowship and program for living make me excited to keep coming back! What a gift. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Those of us that have the true feelings in our hearts and souls have to be a good example to those around us by giving love compassion understanding to others.

    ReplyDelete