Saturday, January 21, 2023

Faith And Belief

When I was an altar boy in the Bronx, I would look at the host as the priest raised it above his head.  I had a sense that there was more here than just a round wafer.  As I grew up I began to realize here and there that there was "more" than what my eyes  could see, or my hands could feel, or my ears could hear.  This is "faith."  Belief is something else.  There is the belief in "Real Presence" in the host held up.  But if it does not get beyond a mental assent, as to a truth of dogma, then it won't have much affect on your daily life.  I know many people who have correct belief in rules, doctrine, rituals, but none of this seems to affect their self-centeredness, gossiping, judgmental attitudes, prejudices and addictions.  I would rather have faith in the "more" of events, simple and complex in my life, than belief in something that smugly makes me think I am right.   

No comments:

Post a Comment