Tuesday, January 3, 2023

The Pious And The Lost

 Most retreatants who come here lean to the pious side, it seems to me. They have a regular spiritual practice and want a booster.  I prefer the desperately lost, but they generally don't think of a monastery retreat as a help.  I would prefer to listen to the lost, their story, their desperate  need for some clarity, peace and joy.  My reading of the Gospels says that God, in Jesus, came to "save the lost."  That is what brought me back to religion.  I wonder if the pious have quite the gratitude for the grace they have, as one who is lost and gets found.  The monastery is the place where I seem to get found and stay found.  I used to think I was pious, but came to find that I was merely delusional, or mediocre on better days.  Staying found is hard work for people like me.  But the best life is always worth the price.  

No comments:

Post a Comment