Sunday, July 14, 2024

Me And You

 Why is it that I so often feel better when I help another person, or contribute to a group effort, or get a task done that benefits others?  I think it is because in service to others I stop thinking about myself.  Two things often happen when I think about myself.  One, I fantasize.  Two, I whine and suffer self-pity.  Thinking about me too much, there is never enough.  The real world is never enough for me.  Fantasy is a solution to that.  Just get out of the real world, reality, the present moment.  I find that when I am of service I am thinking about someone other than myself.  Plus, I have learned to be of service without expecting results to go as planned or to be thanked.  Get out of me.  

2 comments:

  1. Love this and feel it's so true! How are you, Father Ryan?🌷

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel what you are talking about when I give communion to the elderly in end of life care.
    It always creates great sadness in me when one of them dies.

    ReplyDelete