Thursday, April 13, 2017

Postpone

I am bemused by some people who have an alcohol addiction and then get into recovery.  Many often say that they have given up drinking.  Really?  If you are addicted, is saying you stopped drinking all there is to do?  Even if they are in some program like AA, they may have given up drinking for that day.  But to say "forever!"  What is the guarantee?  If you are an addict then that does not change.  What changes is what one does on a daily basis to stay sober and away from a drink.  I prefer to think of it as "I continue to postpone that drink today."  Eventually, if one gives up what got them sober, they will go back to the drink.  So you have no addiction to anything you say?  Well, what is it that you think you have given up "forever?"  I would advise you not to take spiritual growth for granted.  My sense is that daily effort is necessary.  I have found it so in many areas of my life.  "Postpone" keeps me on my toes.

1 comment:

  1. In OA they always say, "Just for Today." We are all twelve-steppers for life!

    ReplyDelete