Monday, July 13, 2020

A Good Fit

I sense that the monastery is a good fit for me.  This is fortuitous because it looks like I will be here a while in Covid times.  I participate in the life of the monks, rather than they do their monastic practice and I just live here with free room and board.  What they do seems to attract me, to fit some hunger within me.  If I were completely on my own with no set schedule, I would be training in my running.  I could eat, sleep, pray, and run when I want each day.  But the monastic life has a schedule and it is a good fit for me.  So I am not in the monastery to run a lot.  I cook a little, bake a little and it seems to suit my brother monks.  I enjoy it.  We have a big oven bakery and a big kitchen.   Being there are so few of us monks, we rely on one another and seem to enjoy being with rather than away from each other.  Being Covid sealed off from the public, our life here is quieter with fewer distractions and a whole lot less talking.  I thought that I would become lonely what with not going out to see people or visit somewhere such as the library for a book or whatnot.  There is no place to go and nothing like that to do.  I run my car down the road a few miles now and again just to keep the battery charged.  So far, I fit in.  Or think I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment