Saturday, July 4, 2020

Fourth Of July

Well there is usually a lot of fireworks and noise on this date in our country.  I am reminded that we seem to suffer from "Silence Deficit Disorder," what with all the cyberspace noise on our devices among other things.  I find at the monastery that at times I might think of something good to say, or so I think, but out of esteem for silence I keep quiet at that time.  I think it is in the Rule of St. Benedict too.  So what good is silence?  I suggest that it might allow our inner self to hear the soft whisper of direction, an inner call, a solution to something.  Judith Valente writes about this silence.  I read a lot, especially in this Covid time, and gain much information, but it is in the silence that I get the "Ah hah!" moment, or the insight for my life.  No ah hah moments on the computer, but much information there.  We have a choice how we use our time, until it is not a choice, but an addiction.  Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment