Sunday, July 5, 2020

Cross

A lot of people take up their cross without being Christian or any other particular religion.  Say what?  A cross is when you make others happy at the price of your own suffering.  I think of my parents, especially my Mom who I saw more at home while my Dad was at work "downtown."  Mom did lots of things to make me happy even though she had lots of leg pain from a surgery that should never have happened to her when I was a toddler.  I appreciated this more when I grew up and in my priesthood especially since I do stuff to make others happy that stretches my comfort zone.  What gets in the way of bearing one's cross?  I find that anger, pride and egoism get in the way.  With pride, I look down on you and think why should I help this pathetic person who won't do anything for themself.  With anger, I just shut down because you make me angry.  I won't be nice to you or helpful.  Egoism says I am the center of the universe and so it is all about me and not about helping another.  With Covid 19, a lot of my public helpfulness is shut down for safety sake.  But there are still times here at the monastery and on Zoom when I can still be helpful, kind, compassionate and loving.  I just have to stay out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment