Sunday, July 19, 2020

Take Responsibility

This one takes some thought.  Drop a pen.  If you say, “The pen fell,” then you are blaming the pen for falling.  But pens don’t really fall all by themselves.  You let go, or fumbled the pen.  You are responsible for the pen being on the floor and not in your hand.  So don’t blame the pen.  Now for life.  You say, “So and so drives me crazy.”  It is no fault of your own that you have this response to someone?  “My boss makes me angry.”  Or, “That meeting is stupid,” as if a meeting had a brain.  Why blame outside events and circumstances for your feelings, and moods?  Be responsible.  You have responses to events, people, situations, and then blame it on outside stuff.  I try to take responsibility for what goes on inside of me.  Blaming the outsides does not change the outsides, and I play helpless responder.  Now where did that pen go?  

1 comment:

  1. I just love this - thank you Father Ryan. In my journey over the past couple of years, I have learned that while I can't control what goes on around me - I am responsible for how I choose to react. That's sometimes difficult in the moment, but when I pause I can also see what a gift that really is. :) Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete