Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Spectators

So many people read the Gospels, or for that matter, other spiritual writings such as the Upanishads, Buddhist Sutras, as spectators.  I find myself doing this at times.  I read for some information, or for some examination of what is said.  Maybe I critique what I have read, or am even uplifted for the moment, but that moment passes.  Such is the unchanged life of the spectator.  But these wisdom writings are meant for the participant which is different.  So I must meditate, or get my ego-centric self out of the way in deep prayer when I engage these scriptures.  Why?  So that I will be changed for the better, or at least on a road to change.  Think of participating in a classical piece of music, as opposed to watching the musicians play.  Think of a ballet or concert that is meant to be participated in so that you will be led to some transformation that continues long after you have left the theatre.  We are meant to be moved into ourselves, and not escape out of ourselves, as might happen with a commercial rock concert, supported by mind altering substances, light shows, and other externals.  You feel great or at least different for the moment, but that passes.  A great work of art, a profound scripture, if participated in, can work toward the change to a fuller way of being a better you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment