Monday, February 6, 2023

Becoming

 People who are trying to grow into a deeper life often ask, "What am I supposed to do?"  People in Recovery Programs ask this.  And while there are things that one must do in many life endeavors, including the monastery, a further question is,"What am I to become?"  An addict gets sober in doing certain things, following certain steps, but sobriety is not their final identity.  It is not who they are created to be.  A person converts or joins or takes up a certain religion.  They follow certain prescribed rules and accept certain beliefs and practices.  But that is only part of the path.  It is "being on the way."  Yet I don't think it is a good idea to try to become ourself by ourself.  In a monastery where I do have lots of time for solitude, I am not living alone nor praying alone all the time.  I have a community each of whom is on their path. Few people are called to be hermits.  We trudge together, while not trying to imitate one another.  

1 comment:

  1. Being is Becoming- both alone and together.

    ReplyDelete