Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Booking My Face

Notice how on social media people show their "best" face, or at least the face that want to show to the public.  This is why I do not use social media to get my connection with other people.  I do see it as a place where I can be informed of someone's whereabouts, or an event of passage such as a graduation.  Social media may not be the place for the "real me" stuff, but say you are lonely and sad.  Why not say so and see what happens?  If no one takes the time to reach out to your sense of failure, isolation, sadness, then why bother to tell them about your "successes?"  Do we all want to hear only the seemingly successful and fun stuff, but not the daily reality of human struggles?  What if we are having trouble paying our bills, child care costs, broken car issues, death, sickness, loss of a lover from a move, or betrayal.  What if you are losing or fear losing your job, or cannot afford insurance?  This is the stuff of life.  This connects me to others.  If all I see is your "success face" why would I bother with social media?  My life is a struggle many a day.  Success for me is the gratitude that I do not succumb to the human struggle of each day's challenges, and events that do not go my way.

1 comment: