Saturday, January 12, 2019

Ordinary God

People want spectacular if they are going to believe in God.  Doubters and non-believers tend to say that if there were a god then the world would be a nicer safer place.  The world is a mess and so there is no god who is all-powerful and good.  Well, my belief is based upon God coming in the ordinary.  For a couple of weeks we Christ believers have been celebrating a baby.  Hundreds of babies were being born the same day as Jesus.  A baby has no power and won’t fix a broken world.  I think that organized Christianity makes too much effort to make God all this and all that.  For me, the baby came without being asked to come.  God decided to come in an ordinary fashion and hang out with us and love on us without us earning it.  That is extraordinary.  So I try to celebrate the everyday places and situations in my life where I can find love.  How do I find love in these places?  I put it there.  I am an ordinary guy, but I can love you without you feeling you have to earn it.  Being ordinary still can have the aspect of surprise that might make you smile.  Like looking at a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment