Monday, January 14, 2019

Creeds

I don’t know why religions make such a big deal about their creeds, those dogma lists.  Someone said that creeds remind them of flight attendant speeches about safety.  No one is listening.  Safety and creeds are important, but no one is listening.  We seem to recite them because we are “supposed to.”  But no one is particularly changed by the words.  I rather emphasize what a pope said. Being a Christian means having love.  Love without conditions or payback.  It is easier to believe in a creed than to do that kind of love.  The creed is rejected by many and ignored by many others.  For me, the world will be a better place if we can love like Jesus loved, then to worry about the creed.  I have met more than a few people who have emphasized dogma, but are not very nice people.  Dogma did not make them less racist, sexist, selfish, arrogant or judgmental.  My job is to love them unconditionally.  Good grief!  I can’t do that alone.  Friends help.

1 comment: