Friday, January 25, 2019

Chastity

Chastity is not all about physical sex.  That is about as far as any of us got with explanations of the virtue of Chastity.  I believe what someone told me, that chastity is about loving someone for their sake and not for mine.  This virtue is in battle against self-centeredness and selfishness.  Oops, maybe I am not so chaste as I thought.  It is a challenge to love someone who ends up next to me for reasons not of my choosing.  It is a challenge to love someone when I don’t feel the adrenaline rush of “falling in love.”  Young people, still maturing, go in and out of relationships, falling into almost obsessive love, and then becoming bored with that same person.  This is really about satisfying one’s own emotional rush.  People “dump” one another at times.  This is all various forms of hidden selfishness.  Do I think I am loving others when in fact I am simply feeling good when around them, and when that passes, so do I from their lives?  Not very chaste.  But rather a very utilitarian life.

No comments:

Post a Comment