Monday, January 7, 2019

Other Voices

Someone said, “We should listen to other voices besides the ones in our head.”  That got my attention.  The difference between prayer and insanity is that with prayer, I open myself to some other voice, a second opinion, a different view, than the one I have.  With insanity, I listen only to the voices in my head.  These voices tell me that I will be happy if persons, places and situations would change and be what I think is right and just.  My head voices say I will be happy with a different job, city or living situation, or partner or religion.  The voice of prayer, though quite quiet and gentle, tells me that my happiness is within and a spiritual path is the way to reach that inner self.  Many a time I have gathered with friends, with my thinking that the world is all wrong out there, and unkind or ignoring me or whatever, only to hear a person say a piece of wisdom that reminds me that the “wrong” causing my unhappiness lies within me and my attitude or thinking.  Usually, when I pray less, the world around me gets all wrong.  Then, self-centered fear rules the my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment