Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Thinking

The Irish proverb, "You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind," applies to me in my spiritual life some days.  it begins when I get up in the morning and set my priorities out of whack.  I decide to put off prayer, meditation, spiritual reading, till "later."  I will do some other very important things, such as exercise and check my computer or go to breakfast with someone.  I think about the spiritual life, but I don't do anything.  That time called "later" never seems to happen that particular day.  A spiritual life is action.  Many people judge that anyone who sits with their eyes closed in silence and stillness is "wasting time," "getting nothing done."  If my ego goes unchecked by prayer, the "active" life that day will not be productive of much good.  This is my experience.  No one gets to a meeting simply by thinking about going.

No comments:

Post a Comment