Thursday, November 5, 2020

A Presence

 In my brand of belief, God is innocuous, small, quiet, but present in a little round wafer, in a box, in the chapel.  Wherever there are little boxes, called tabernacles in church-speak, in churches, there is this presence.  So sometimes, never often enough, I go in and sit down.  My churches are open all day long in most places.  It is comforting to know that it does not matter what I believe, or how skeptical I am, the presence is still there.  It does not depend on me.  I get the comfort of someone loving me, always being there for me, even if I don’t love them or give them much time.  The presence is not meant to overcome disbelief, but rather overcomes a sense of being alone and abandoned.  Covid times are tough, but as I sit there alone, I generally feel better.  If I am feeling crazed, in emotional turmoil, scattered, a quiet seems to come over me.  It is comforting to feel a bit of love, of not being alone, without my having to do anything or make anything happen.  I hope that Moms/Dads of my belief will take their little children into these quiet, and massive buildings and introduce them to the Presence in the little box.  It could be a lifesaver someday.  The world is not getting to be an easier place for sanity and serenity.  Anyhow, it is what little ole me does from time to time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment