Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Abraham

Abraham is the Father of the three "Religions of the Book," Judaism, Christianity and Islam.  God told Abe to move from his land.  Abe did not know where he was going or quite what the plan was, but he uprooted himself and moved.  Most of us would not do that.  We have to know what is coming.  We want security and assurances if we are going to give up the familiar.  Sometimes we might make a move because we are miserable in our present circumstances.  Some people marry for that reason.  But even marriage in the best of circumstances is a leap of faith.  Some of our best decisions come with that leap.  Lately, coming to the monastery is such a decision.  People ask me what is my plan, or why do this.  Were things not well enough where I was?  I think of the monastery now not as an escape, but as a leap.  I have no idea what is in he future, but I sense it is right for me now.  So I like Abe and his gumption.  For some people, the belief in the existence of God is an assurance, but it is not a leap into the unknown.  Change for the better does not come with assurances.  It comes with risk.  The best relationships are risk and trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment