Saturday, November 21, 2020

Mopping Up

 One of my jobs here at the monastery is to sweep and wet mop the kitchen floor every four weeks.  When IT  comes to my week, I do this task each day.  IT reminds me of my prayer life. I have to repeat my prayer practice each day.  Just like the kitchen floor, it gets messy between cleanings. I wash the floor today and by tomorrow if not by that night there are muddy prints and crumb droppings on the floor.  I have no control over muddy boots.  My prayer life is not something to be controlled.  It is to be practiced.  It is action and not attitude.  My life can so easily get muddled up from outside stuff if not thoughts and shortcomings making for murky times.  So I practice my prayer rituals each day.  As with the kitchen floor I make time for prayer.  I think everyone benefits by my being sane and serene.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your posts Father Ryan. Inspiring and down to earth, as you remind us to pray even though we have daily tasks that must be completed, so prayer is the task that keeps us grounded,centered, and at peace. God Bless you. Amen.

    ReplyDelete