Friday, November 6, 2020

Charity

 When I give some money to something that actually benefits me directly, I call it a contribution.  I contribute to things that I am a part of.  So I would contribute to my church, to a group that helps me to stay sane and balanced.  I hear people say they "donate" to their church or group.  To me, donations go to causes that help others but I do not directly benefit, such as a program that feeds the hungry or house the homeless,  for instance.  If you are in a meeting that helps you and they pass the hat, you contribute.  You don't donate.  Museums could be a grey area, but I call it a contribution if I am a member.  I benefit by going to the museum.  Members contribute.  If someone is looking for money over and above my membership, as museums and the arts do, I call it a donation.  When people send me money for my teaching or preaching, I hope it is a contribution, that they are benefitting directly from what I do.  I am not a charity, at least not yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment