Monday, October 21, 2013

A Good Priest

At some point in my priesthood I realized that I had a lot of shortcomings that were not about to disappear.  So I decided that if I was not going to be holy or brilliant or talented in my work, I would do one thing well.  I would give people what they want, or asked for.  For this I am called a "good" priest. It was amazing to me to discover how few priests actually responded well to simple requests.  It seems that you were asking for something at the wrong or inconvenient time, or there was some nitty rule, or custom that went against your request.  With me, you want to be anointed? Sure.  Right now? Fine. Confession right now? Fine.  My preaching or teaching could be average to second rate, and I might even say some outrageous things. They were all passed over, because Fr. Ryan is "helpful."  I think that all of us could make the world a better place if we could say "yes" more often than "no" each day.  You might find that your whole mood is improved if you are of service in the moment of the request.  Daily meditation has helped me to say yes when my first thought is to say no.  It is not the first thought or emotion that matters.  It is the first action.  If I only did what I wanted to do, then my faults/vices would take over.  Selfish is my norm.  Grace is the cure, moment by moment.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad, but true, that you are usually the ONLY priest in town who responds positively - and quickly - to the real needs of people. I've observed this for YEARS! THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Padre, but I'm still stuck on Saturday's MATTER blog. I thought ego in spirituality or contemplation was a bad thing but if we are all just star dust, (nothing to be sneezes at) but how are we different from our athiest friends, (God rest their souls)?

    ReplyDelete