Wednesday, October 16, 2013

No Broad Brush

Whenever I hear someone say that, "Everyone in that group is..." I get a bit uneasy.  There is no everyone.  People may affiliate with a group for various different reasons.  Recovery groups have all kinds of people in them for all kinds of reasons.  The more open you are to membership, the more likely you will have a wide array of differences in the membership.  My own church is very big and wide in its acceptance of people, moreso than you think.  There are narrow-minded members of a group that think they speak for everyone, and want people who are just like them.  I have found it very hard to be content or even grow in a group if everyone has to be like me.  I have too many faults to want to hang around me like-minded and like-acting people.

1 comment:

  1. Can folks like me who are tired of that second glass of vino every night join AA? I guess I thought they might laugh at me?

    ReplyDelete