Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Why A Priest?

Someone questioned why I am a priest if I am so critical about the church.  I came to the conclusion, some time ago, that I was not going to be much of a priest for the unquestioning pious.  But they had a lot of priests to take care of them.  I was going to be a priest to those who were barely hanging on, those who felt no one was listening to them, those who felt somewhat left out by the focus and emphasis of the teachers, pastors, leaders of their church.  These laity are the people who are often enough on the outer edges of the church.  There are all kinds of reasons why they are where they are.  No one size fits all.  Often they feel ignored, and even put down.  They believe that Jesus is for them and they for Jesus. It is his messengers that more often than not leave them feeling on the outside.  So they often stay on the outside of the sacraments.  They are my mission.  I have hope when I see the unquestioning pious walking with the bemused sceptic.  Only good things can happen when we mix it up.  It is a big church, and I ain't leavin'!

2 comments:

  1. You have kept me actively engaged in my church and my spirituality and I'd be lost without your lectures, blogs, your humor and your homilies. Someday I'll introduce myself and tell you so.Thanks Fr. Tery
    Michael D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you're the only priest in our area who CARES about those of us "just hanging on". THANK YOU for being here for us - the neglected ones in the Church!

    ReplyDelete