Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Balance

Any Church community needs people with differences, who think differently, and have differening focus.  For instance, a community I serve just moved into another church building because the one they were using has flood issues.  When we got into the church, one person was concerned that the altar be in a particular place.  Another checked out the organ.  Another looked at the interior design, its esthetics.  Me?  I am a nuts and bolts guy.  Do we have a sound system?  Do we have heat?  Where are the switches?  How do things "work."  All church communities grumble if they cannot hear or suffer from room temperature cold.  I asked about the sound system.  I saw that we had microphones on the podium.  So where is the system?  No one seemed concerned, so I went around and opened a cabinet in the back of the church.  Voila!  With instructions, though they were a bit out of date.  I got the sound on.  At the end of the church service, I told the leaders to find out how the heat works.  We will need it soon.  Churches need people like me.  I am not glamorous in my focus.  I am functional.

1 comment: