Friday, March 15, 2019

Bread And Wine*

For Catholics and Lutherans who believe in the bread and wine being changed on the altar into God, it is a great metaphor for everyone.  For me, I know that I need a cure for self-centeredness.  The world is not all about me, nor am I its center.  This delusional self is like the bread, the ordinary and everyday way that I try to nourish my soul byself-interest in getting what I say I need.  But I can become like God, and filled, only when I allow myself to be transformed into the person who practices surrendering love.  This would be at least as great a miracle as what happens on church altars.  The church mass ritual is trying to teach me about change which is more than watching what goes on up there, and then going to get a host for me, to make me feel better.  If I do not become a sacrificial gift for others in selfless love, than what would be the point of Communion?

No comments:

Post a Comment