Monday, March 11, 2019

Unimportant Me*

I went through a bad patch in the last couple of years.  I lost a job title, something that identified my important and necessary work.  I am on no parish staff.  I have no specific job responsibility in the corporate world of institutional religion.  I used to be a pastor.  Then I was a "missionary."  But I don't do missions so I guess that title is out the window.  I teach about prayer, but not at the behest of anyone.  I make up the topics and times to teach, but if I did nothing, the world would go on fine without me.  My problem with all this was that if I do not have important, necessary work, the world will abandon me.  I will be a failure.  I did not see this at the time, but now that my unimportantance no longer bothers me, I can see more clearly where I was stuck.  Ego and fear seem to go hand in hand.  So whenever you feel like I did, know that your important work, whatever that is for you, only feeds the ego.  The soul will starve.  I have found that people love me even when I am nothing in the job world.  Their love helped me to find my true treasure.  Me!

1 comment:

  1. Father Terry,
    I am in Arizona, but I very much look forward to your services at Dunn, when I am back in April. God bless you! Connie.

    ReplyDelete