Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Listen First*

I am not much for meetings with people that are all “open discussion.”  To me it would be like going to a religious service that starts out with “does anyone want to say anything?”  I prefer to listen to solutions, wisdom that is tried and true from some book/scripture/literature.  I am attracted to Jesus the wisdom figure who comes upon a person who can neither hear nor speak (Mark 7: 31-37).  Jesus first heals his hearing.  Then he loosens his tongue to speak clearly.  Many of us, and I count myself among them, don’t always listen.  Yet we might be quick to speak and what comes out is a messy jumble.  I like to hear some wisdom first, from a book, and then open up for discussion.  I have been to gatherings where people simply talk about their problems.  I have enough problems.  I need solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment