Saturday, March 16, 2019

Dad

My dad died on this day back in 2004.  I was with him when he took his last breath.  I got a chance to say goodbye.  I think about that today because I cannot speak to my parents in the flesh anymore.  I am glad that when I could be with them I was.  I have never been good on the phone, but I would visit and always answer a letter from my mom.  If you have parents who are still alive, you might ask yourself when was the last time you contacted them?  Maybe you think that one or the other is or was terrible and life was traumatic with that parent.  But they did give you life and long after they are dead you might wish you had been more in touch.  You never know.  And if you have adult children who have moved out, are you in contact with them?  I think that even parents we might call “crazy” are still doing the best they can.  It might not have been enough for you, but it was all they had, burdened with their shortcomings and character defects.  Parents die.  Resentments tend to linger.

No comments:

Post a Comment