Saturday, March 23, 2019

Coin Prayers*

Sometimes I treat prayer like a coin.  I call them "Coin Prayers."  God is the spiritual vending machine.  I want to get something.  I look at the choices that God might provide.  God cannot provide all my wants.  I will never be taller, younger or handsome.  Those slots are empty.  So I choose something that is more reasonable, like a parking place, a good seat at an event I want to attend, a cold to go away, enough gas to get to my next destination, my team to win, someone to like me, and so on. Then I say my prayer of petition.  This is the coin prayer dropped into the god vending machine.  I wait for what I want to come out.  Didn't you used to get upset when the wrong stuff came out, that which you did not choose or don't really like?  Me too.  I blamed the stupid machine, the malfunctioning machine for not doing its job.  And I don't get my coin back.  I sometimes just want to kick god for not giving me what I want when I want it.  Many people drop out of the prayer business and religion because their vending machine god did not come through for them.

1 comment:

  1. God is NOT Santa Claus!
    Too many people think He is.
    God is "Good Orderly Direction"
    Grace of God is unexpected Blessings.

    ReplyDelete