Monday, March 4, 2019

Gargoyles*

Think of yourself as a Cathedral built beautifully by your creator.  I know it can be a stretch, but let the imagination reign for a moment.  Now the old cathedrals of Europe had roofs with demonic figures on them facing outward and with wings.  They are demons, or gargoyles, that are fleeing the cathedral, a place of holiness and grace.  The cathedral is a sacred space just as you are.  You are God’s sacred cathedral.  Lent is coming in two days.  It is a good opportunity to reflect on what gargoyles are needing wings and purpose to fly away from you.  Each of my character defects, faults and stinking thinking is a gargoyle.  I will be asking God to give them wings and be rid of them so that I may better be a sacred space for others to find comfort when they encounter me.  Don’t forget those ashes this Wednesday.  Anyone can get them, gargoyles and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment