Sunday, June 5, 2022

Making Sense

 I bought a new iPhone, an SE.  I was told the learning curve from my old iPhone 6 would be easy.  I went to a class for beginners.  It was the right class for me.  Being a dummy I needed a patient teacher who could connect his/her wisdom with some empathy for my being clueless.  The class trainer was a good teacher for me.  He found a way to move me from where I was, lost, to a bit of wisdom that was useful to me to me.  So if you are trying to teach someone something, to pass on some wisdom, I believe you must first connect to their clueless or shut-down space.  The great math teachers know how to connect with someone who says, “I am no good at math.”  The same with someone who says, “I cannot stop drinking.”  If you cannot get into their powerless world, then you probably cannot teach them much.  Besides entering into my clueless world, the second thing the iPhone teacher did was teach me things I found useful that I did not even know about. Just because you think something is useful does not mean the student agrees.  Be in their world before you try to bring them into yours.  

1 comment:

  1. This is sound advice. When I visit my brother who doesn’t remember who I am, I need to enter his world first. This is not always doable but I have to try.

    ReplyDelete