Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Stepinac

 I was with old friends for a gathering in the town of our high school, Stepinac.  We were given a tour of the school, 61 years after we last were inside the building.  Lots of changes and modernization for sure. And a lot more expensive.  We were shown, among other things, the refurbished chapel.  It struck me that I spent so little time inside the chapel in my four years in school.  It was most often empty so it would have been a good place to sit quietly and meditate in high school.  It is what I love to do now, but as a teenager, I did not know this about myself.  In some ways, I was too young, too immature for much of what high school offered me.  I participated yes, and my year books shows all of that listed.  I learned a lot but never learned much about myself.  Education was participation and learning stuff, information, but not much about the mystery of me.  I did not know there was a mystery.  I am trying to focus now more on learning about the mystery of me.  I requires a lot of unlearning, of letting go of stuff that has hidden me from myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment