Friday, June 24, 2022

Their Best

 If I say that I love someone, do I love them to become their fullest self, even if that disagrees with my practical plans or future for them?  Say a person aspires at a certain age to want to become a musical stage actor.  You say you love this person, but think it impractical to seek such a career.  In your wisdom, you think so few people make it in show business, plus your plan for this person you love is that they grow up to have a secure job, home, family.  Are you loving this person to become their best self, even if it disagrees with your plans for them?  When Jesus invited disciples, he did not try to make them become anything.  He simply said, follow me and love one another.  They each had to figure it out through trial and error, to eventually become their best selves.  To me, Jesus’ plan is that we love one another by becoming our best selves.  If I try to be someone else rather than me, I will have little energy left to love anyone.  I might not even love myself.  

1 comment:

  1. don't be more less or other than your true self

    ReplyDelete