Wednesday, June 8, 2022

My World

 I just saw the movie, “Belfast,” Oscar nominated.  A very good movie, but I could not understand the dialogue without subtitles.  The dialogue was too  thickly accented for me, but not for them.  But the adults knew if they moved to London, no one would understand them.  Theirs was a small world, but made unsafe by political, cultural violence.  A little boy, Buddy, in his even smaller world, knew his community of friends and family.  In an unsafe big world of Belfast, he felt safe in his neighborhood because he knew everyone in his little world.  I try to be aware of the person in front of me.  They may not share my world, nor care.  But if I say I care, then I need to be open.  Otherwise, we are more likely to talk over or around one another, but not to one another.  There will be talkers, but no listeners.  

No comments:

Post a Comment