Monday, June 20, 2022

The Choice

 When a young person chooses a major, or special study, or trade, often the motivating reason, underlying their choice, is the energy that they can change the world.  This is their uplifting, energizing purpose.  I had this in mind when I decided to be a priest.  Without such a purpose, I don’t think I would have or could have gotten through difficult times.  Too often we lose this purpose, become jaded, “practical” or cynical.  Then life becomes survival, one darn thing after another, and then you die.  When I wake up in the morning I ask myself this question.  Am I going to change the world today?  No way, unless I begin with me.  The world will be a better place, whether in monastery or Manhattan, if I work on me first.  Maybe today I work on cynicism.  Or fear.  Or gratitude.  Or liking myself.  And maybe in the middle of the day I just need a nap.  Do you first.  Then good stuff will happen.  

1 comment:

  1. If you want to change the world go home and love your family- Teresa of Calcutta

    ReplyDelete