Saturday, October 10, 2020

Do Better Prayer

I find that a lot of time I praise God in Choir song and then ask for stuff, as if I am deprived of something.  I call this prayer, "God you are good (praise), now please do better."  All summer I have been praying for rain and complaining that we are in a drought.  I forget that we do indeed have water and are not in danger of burning down.  This came to me when we received a letter from an Abbot, about the situation at the monastery in Oregon.  One, they are five miles from two fires.  Two, they have no water.  It is not that they lack water.  They have no water.  They have to bring in tankards of it, and that is $$$.  Apparently, over the years, vineyards were planted around their property and the vineyards used highly technical equipment to dig deep into the aquifer and get the water that used to go to the monastery.  Never once, all summer, did I thank God for the water we do have to eat, wash, drink and water some of our fields.  So I am going to try and stop the "God, do better " prayers and thank God for what I do have.  I think it is OK to ask for stuff, but maybe do the thank you list first.   

1 comment:

  1. So true, my Mother (God rest her soul) used to say it is done by the only one that can do it, God. Don't ask for anything that you might later regret. Give thanks for the good and the bad. God always knows what each one needs and want, but He only gives us what we need.

    ReplyDelete