Thursday, October 29, 2020

Hangovers

Not all hangovers are substance caused.   Some are of the emotional type.  After a big emotional turmoil, there is usually an emotional hangover.  Energy sapped.  Numbness.  The promise to not let that happen again.  But a promise is not a plan.  A plan takes work and often work with others.  A promise you make to yourself and it is filled with empty hope but no plan.  No action will be taken with a promise.  Couples promise themselves in marriage or partnership. I promised in ordination.  But without a plan of action, a promise is a lot of emotion and wishful thinking and fantasy.  You gotta work at it on a daily basis.  I thought, "Oh, I am now a priest, and everything will go well."  That was magical thinking.  My life is not a mess today, but I have a plan.  I have to renew that plan each day with action.  Otherwise?  The mess returns and picks up where it left off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment