Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Living To Being

When we die we cease living but we do not cease being.  Living is all about this earth which is why we should be concerned with it and with one another.  The Hebrew scriptures are about living well in this life.  A lot of people of religion today focus on God and themselves but are not much concerned about God's creation, which is God's joy.  It is a private religion bent on getting to heaven where they will live the good life forever.  But living is for here.  After we die, we cease to live.  We can not make the world a better place after we die.  But we do go on being.  We don't cease to exist.  But being is not the same as living so I drop the idea of a better version of myself in heaven.  So can we access some sense of "being" here while we live?  I think so and I suggest it is in a more contemplative life, those moments when we say, "I just am" or maybe the prayer is so deep we are not even aware of that.  If you cannot just be with yourself then how are you going to "be" after you die?  The constant demand for diversion, entertainment, activity certainly does not prepare us to "BE."  But while I live I will try to be concerned about God's creation including other people.   

No comments:

Post a Comment