Thursday, October 1, 2020

The Rocker

I am grateful to the Shakers.  They came from England where they were persecuted for their ways.  Some thought they were Catholic because of their celibacy.  But I guess they were not too celibate as they are still around.  They were pacifists and believed in the equality of man and woman.  But I know they are around because they make wonderful furniture, like my Rocker.  I found the Rocker in East Tennessee.  it was delivered to the rectory where I lived in Knoxville.  It is still there in the guest room that is rarely used so the Rocker is still in good shape. I tested it out in March this year.  it fits me perfectly. It does not so much rock as moves back and forth on a pendulum and so does the foot rest.  It fits my more slender body, so fat priests don't much care for it.  There are people, things and places that we cherish that are far from us.  The memories stay though.  I would love to have my Rocker, but either I go live there or it comes to me, or I just keep the memory.  Have any good furniture you miss?  A good rocker is a tough thing to find.  So are good people that we never forget.   

1 comment: