Monday, October 12, 2020

Heart Open

 A lot of people like their religion to be clear.  Clarity of mind gives such people great comfort.  That is why they focus on catechisms, doctrine and dogma.  In my religion they have catechism answers to who Jesus is.  But this does not mean they have open hearts.  Why?  Because for many a clear-minded believer Jesus looks just like they do.  If I remind them that he was Jewish, probably brown skinned, a rather noticeable nose, and probably short, they would say no, that is not Jesus, unless of course, that is exactly their profile.  We tend to define God to suit ourselves, do we not?  God has little room to be God in our clear-headed thinking.  Lots of people in my church say they long for Christ, but that does not mean that they would accept him should he show up.  Should I ever see God, I suspect it will be a big surprise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment