Friday, October 16, 2020

Pleasure

 I had been asking myself what is my purpose here in the monastery?  Why all this centered meditation, this deep prayer?  Where is it supposed to take me?  In other words, what is God’s plan?  What is the work down the road?  All for naught, this wondering and wandering in mind.  I realize that I am here in prayer to give God pleasure.  It is not about getting spiritually fortified so that I can go on to do some work later for humankind or the Church.  That would be a work that would give me pleasure by its accomplishment.  It would be ego satisfying and therefore a bit about Self.  But to pray simply to give God pleasure is a more selfless life.  Even if I might at times feel dry in prayer, or it seems tedious, that is just from my side.  It is still giving God pleasure and that is always a sufficient reason to pray.  

No comments:

Post a Comment