Thursday, March 25, 2021

Lenten Fast

We are hip deep into Lent and some people gave up things.  Over the years I have discovered that "giving up" has greater benefits depending on what is given up.  Like how? Well, if I give up desserts for Lent, I am simply giving up something that is not all that healthy anyway.  And when Lent is over, I am not much changed anyway, except maybe my ego crows over how strong-willed I was as I go back to desserts.  But I have learned to look at Eve in Paradise.  The apple, or whatever fruit on the tree, is good for you.  It is pleasing to the eye and benefits health.  Try giving up something that is good.  Try coffee.  I can live without sugary stuff.  No coffee!  It is a staple.  Food pundits say it is good for me.  My will-power is way challenged, right from the time I wake up.  The purpose? To let go of good things for something greater or deeper.  A reminder of my need for that Power, Ultimate Reality, The One, God, who is what will fill me up.  A little early morning emptiness ( maybe whining a tad) reminds me of the emptiness that only my God can fill.  For some people, alcohol looks good, tastes good, can be good for you, like a glass of wine at dinner, but they want something more fulfilling, like sanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment