Sunday, March 28, 2021

My Birthday

 Today is my first birthday at the monastery.  The monks usually have a birthday party, special food and gathering to talk, on a birthday.  Unfortunately for me, today is two things.  One it is Sunday and we have no meal on Sunday.  Everyone is on their own.  Secondly, it is Palm Sunday, the beginning of Holy Week for us Christian monks so Jesus is the center of attention and not me.  So it is a festive day for Jesus who comes into Jerusalem to Hosannas from the fickle crowd, but not a festive day for my birthday.  This is OK because the people who focused all that attention on Jesus, dumped him by Friday, our so called Good Friday.  My friends will not dumping me.  They are just busy with Holy Week.  But if you are not into Holy Week than you have no excuse for ignoring me.  My birthday can never compete with Jesus who is God to me and saved my selfish soul.  But chocolate is never a bad idea for us second place people.  

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday Father Ryan! Happy birthday to you, Cha-cha-cha!☀️♥️ I hope you have a year as incredible as you are!♥️ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We met you years ago on Holy Week at the Houston Cenacle before Hurricane Harvey blew it away. We are laughing out loud with you and for you (in a most holy way, of course) at today's post. Chocolate blessings from Texas today, our friend. We love you and your blog and have been too self-absorbed and lazy slugs to write and let you know. As the birthday song goes, we're glad God made you. Tom and Jackie from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Father Terry! It is always interesting to be born in the Spring. My birthday is next Sunday pn Easter, so fortunately I will have chocolate. I was born on Good Friday, the 4th of April and my brother was born two years later on Good Friday, April 15th! Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Dear Father
    May the universe bless you with all your wishes
    Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Padre, You have been my daily life coach for many years now. A Saturday morning talk, Stranger To The City, by monk Michael Casey.
    We bought you a box of chocolates, but I realized that was probably the last thing you need ...so Anyway.. I must confess I ate your birthday present. What the devil is your Snowmas address anyhow?
    I have always believed that Maureen must’ve put a spell on that dopey NY little boy.
    Dan McN
    God bless Pat Palaich

    ReplyDelete