Wednesday, March 3, 2021

One Step Away

 I have heard recovering addicts say,” I am one drink away from a drunk.”  That is, if they have even one drink, they will quickly go downhill to old behavior.  Would that I keep that in mind in relation to my prayer life, my meditation.  On a daily basis, if I keep to my times for stillness and silence, for meditation, I will be OK the rest of the day.  Old bad habits will be kept at bay.  But if I skip a day, bad things quickly begin to happen.  What was acceptable yesterday or forgivable, or ignored, is today going to bring me to resentment, self-pity, hurt feelings and anger, because  my daily dose of prayer has been skipped.  My anecdote is missing.   Prayer is my recovery program for a lot of character defects.  Just as an alcoholic, an addict, is always such, I always having shortcomings just waiting for me to ease up on my recovery meditations.  Become too busy for your daily dose, and my experience is that life will overwhelm you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment