Sunday, March 7, 2021

Racism

I find racism and discrimination to be very subtle.  I will speak for myself.  I will say, "I am not racist."  But if I live in a neighborhood or environs where everyone looks like me, then how do I know?  It is easy for me to be kind and caring for people who look like me, and act like me.   What if I am in a meeting with people who are trying to grow spiritually, and a disheveled drunk walks in?  Instinctively, I wish he or she would go away.  They upset my tranquility.  I might fail then to notice that their presence is an opportunity for me reach out and care for them. a good spiritual practice for someone trying to grow spiritually.  Instinct is the last thing to change when one discriminates.  I find this can happen when I run into someone of a different skin color, language, culture than I am.  There is that pause, that step back judgment that jumps up.  Spiritual growth means that I do not let that initial reaction control my response. So people who live in gated or red-lined neighborhoods, or suburban likeness, say that they are not racist or discriminating, I wonder what would happen when they step out and are tested? 

No comments:

Post a Comment